Apple Rose Tartlets
- Place the drip tray / baking tray in the Panasonic Electric oven and preheat on at 220oC for both upper and lower tubes.
- Make the syrup by combining the ingredients in a ceramic bowl and heating in a microwave oven for 30 – 60 seconds until sugar is melted. Set aside.
- Cut the apples in half, remove the cores and slice each half thinly, crosswise.
- Place the apples on a ceramic plate and heat in the microwave oven for 1 minute (or more if necessary) until apple slices soften.
- Drain the apples thoroughly using a strainer. Dab dry any excess moisture with a kitchen towel.
- Cut the puff pastry into 6 strips of equal width.
- Warm the apricot conserve in the microwave oven. In a separate bowl, mix the ground almond, sugar and cinnamon.
- Brush some apricot conserve over a strip of pastry and sprinkle with almond mixture.
- Lay out apple slices in rows and brush the upper, rounded, half sections with syrup. Lay apple slices, syrup-side facing down (without syrup touching the pastry if possible), along the length of the pastry, overlapping each apple slice at the mid-section, with the rounded ends jutting out of the pastry. The apples should be sitting along half the width of the pastry. Brush a little syrup on the apple slices protruding out of the pastry.
- Fold the half-section of the pastry that is without apples, to cover the lower section of the apples that is sitting on the pastry. Roll up the pastry carefully and place into a muffin / cupcake mould with the exposed apple slices pointing upwards. Repeat with the remaining apples and pastry.
- Place the tartlets onto the preheated baking tray and bake for 20 minutes. Turn the oven setting to – with the upper tube off and the lower tube at 220oC and bake for another 25 minutes.
- Remove the tartlets from their moulds and cool on a cooling rack. Dust with snow powder or icing sugar before serving.
- 2 red delicious apples
- 1 sheet (25 cm x 25 cm) frozen puff pastry, slightly thawed just before using
- 1½ tbsp apricot conserve
- 3 tbsp ground almond
- 1½ tsp castor sugar
- ⅜ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp water
- 3 tsp castor sugar
- Snow powder or icing sugar
Apricot conserve may be replaced with any jam available in the fridge