Traditional Indonesian style fried chicken with galangal, lemongrass and kaffir lime leaves.
- In the mixer grinder, pulse the lime leaves, galangal, garlic and lemongrass to make a medium consistency (not fine) marinade paste.
- Mix the paste, chicken and coconut milk, and marinate in the fridge for at least 4 hours. Or leave overnight for best results.
- Boil water in pot, adding gula melaka and salt to taste. Add chicken pieces and marinade, then braise for about 10 minutes until tender. Strain and chill.
- Heat oil and deep fry chicken, along with a generous spoonful or two of marinade from the strainer, until crispy and dark brown. Remove the chicken and fried paste with a strainer and serve.
Tips: You can save and reuse the braising water and strained marinade for 2-3 days. Sprinkle fried marinade over rice for a truly authentic Indonesian dish.
- 2 Kaffir Lime Leaves
- 1cm slice Galangal, chopped
- 5 cloves Garlic
- 3 stalks Lemongrass
- 600g Chicken legs, chopped into 4 pieces
- 500ml Coconut milk
- 1L water
- To taste Palm Sugar (Gula Melaka)
- To taste Salt
- As needed Vegetable Oil