- Remove bread pan from bread-making machine, and add in high-gluten flour, granulated sugar, milk powder, salt, butter and water. Place bread pan back into bread-making machine, and add yeast into the yeast dispenser. Place cashew nuts and raisins into the machine’s respective slots.
- Set the bread-making machine to “Light Crust” setting (2 hours 30 minutes).
- Once baked, let the bread rest for at least 2 minutes before slicing.
- To make the paste, in a blender, add re-hydrated chilies, red chilies, red onion, garlic, lemongrass, ginger and water and blitz. Set mixture aside.
- To make the Rendang, heat a saucepan over high heat to toast coriander, cumin and fennel seeds. Cook until the seeds begin to pop and sizzle. It should be fragrant at this point.
- Remove spices from the pan and place into a spice mill. Blend using the “Manual Pulse Function” until ingredients are fine.
- Pour oil into a wok, and warm the pan over medium-low heat until the oil starts to bubble slightly.
- Add the blended spices, paste, gula melaka, and tamarind paste into the wok and fry for 20 minutes or until the mixture turns darker in color.
- Reduce heat and add in the beef ribs, water and a hint of salt. Simmer for 2-3 hours over low heat, adding water when needed. Stir the Rendang occasionally until meat is very tender.
- Once meat is tender and most of the liquid has evaporated, remove the middle stems off the turmeric leaves and add to the wok. Pour in the coconut milk and stir well. Finally add in the Kerisik and cook for another 5-10 minutes.
- Stir in 1 teaspoon of salt for seasoning.
- Serve on the side with bread slices.
- 250 grams high-gluten flour
- 15 grams butter
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon milk powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 190 millilitres water
- 1 teaspoon instant dry yeast
- 40 grams roasted cashew nuts
- 20 grams raisins
- 250 grams re-hydrated dried red chilies, seeds removed
- 4 red onions
- 5 red chilies
- 2 inch ginger
- 2 lemongrass stalks
- 100 grams water
- 150 grams cooking oil
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander seed
- 1 kilogram beef ribs
- 70 grams gula melaka (palm sugar)
- 800 grams water
- 1 tablespoon tamarind paste
- 2 turmeric leaf, chiffonade
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 100 grams santan
- 80 grams Kerisik, grated and pan-toasted fresh coconut