Light and moist carrot cake with cream cheese frosting.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and cinnamon together, then set aside. Using the hand mixer, whisk the egg whites until foamy. Add half of the sugar and continue to whisk. Add the rest of the sugar and continue to whisk until the meringue forms soft- medium peaks (when you lift the whisk, the tip should fall gently).
- Add the egg yolks and salt to the mixture and mix well. Do the same for the oil and vanilla extract. Add grated carrots and orange zest then continue mixing. Finally, add in the pecans/ walnuts and mix until completely incorporated.
- Gently fold half the flour into the egg batter. Add the rest of the flour and continue folding until smooth. Pour batter into greased rice cooker pot. Tap the sides of the pot to release air bubbles. Choose CAKE menu and then START. After about 30 minutes, insert a toothpick at the centre of the cake, if it comes out with a few crumbs or clean, the cake is done.
- Let the cake cool for 2-3 minutes then turn the pot upside down onto a tray, the cake will easily slip out. Let the cake cool completely. Spread the cream cheese frosting all over the cake. Decorate as desired and chill in the refrigerator for a few hours.
Tip: Be careful not to over-mix your cake batter. Overmixing activates the gluten in the flour, making the cake chewy and tough.
- 128g Plain Flour
- 1 Tbsp Baking Powder
- 1 1/2 Tbsp Cinnamon Powder
- 4 Eggs, separated
- 80g Sugar
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 80ml Vegetable Oil
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 100g Carrot, peeled and grated
- 1 Tbsp Orange, zest only
- 30g Pecans or Walnuts, toasted and chopped
- Cream Cheese Frosting