Recipe courtesy of Sarah Benjamin
ICE CREAM METHOD:
- First, we make a no-churn malted chocolate ice cream. Sift the cocoa powder over the condensed milk, and stir until combined. Next, stir in the malted chocolate powder.
- Using a hand mixer, whip the double cream until fluffy and doubled in volume. Fold ⅓ of the whipped cream into the chocolate condensed milk mixture. After that’s smooth, fold in the remaining whipped cream. Be sure to scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Transfer to a container or tin and freeze until firm, smoothening out the surface with a spatula. Freezing would take 4 to 6 hours, but best to leave overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Melt the butter and dark chocolate together in a bowl over a pan of water left to simmer, until a glossy texture is reached. Once melted, immediately take it off the heat. Let this cool slightly.
- In a mixing bowl, sift in the flour, cocoa powder and baking powder. Add in the salt.
- Using a hand mixer and in a separate mixing bowl, beat the brown sugar, vanilla extract and eggs together until frothy and slightly fluffy. Be careful not to over-whisk the mix.
- Add the melted butter and chocolate mixture to the eggs, and continue whisking to combine.
- Toss the batter into the flour mixture and fold it in with a spatula. Finally, fold in the chopped prunes.
- Dollop scoops of the batter on a lined baking tray, and bake for 14-16 minutes. The edges should be cracked and crunchy, while the inside is still fudgy. Let them cool completely on a wire rack.
- Soften the ice cream slightly, then using an ice cream scoop, deposit a scoop in between two chocolate cookies. Press down lightly to make a sandwich, and place on a lined plate or tray that will fit in your freezer. Return the ice cream sandwiches to the freezer to firm up again before serving.
Del Monte Dried Prunes:
- 115g Unsalted Butter, cut into large chunks
- 140g Dark Chocolate, chopped
- 80g Plain Flour
- 3tbs Cocoa Powder
- ½ tsp Baking Powder
- ½ tsp Salt
- 130g Brown Sugar
- 2 Eggs
- 1tsp Vanilla Extract
- 250g Dried Prunes, roughly chopped
- 480ml Heavy Whipping Cream
- 1 can Condensed Milk (around 400g)
- 4tbs Cocoa Powder
- 8tbs malted Chocolate Drink Powder