- Preheat the oven to 200 oC.
- Make the meat stuffing by processing the chicken, shallot and garlic in a food processor to a smooth, springy paste. Transfer to a large bowl and mix in the remaining ingredients.
- Sauté the capsicum in a little oil and season with a pinch of salt. Set aside.
- Sauté the garlic in a little oil until fragrant and add the spinach. Cook until the spinach has softened, then season with salt. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Spread the whole chicken out (skin-side down) and sprinkle with a generous amount of salt and pepper. Spread the stuffing over the chicken and place the capsicum and spinach in a row along the centre of the chicken.
- Fold the chicken up and truss it so that it holds together.
- Massage the skin of the chicken with oil, and a generous amount of salt, pepper and paprika.
- Place vegetables in a roasting pan and toss with some oil, salt and pepper.
- Place chicken directly onto the bed of vegetables or onto a roasting rack placed over the vegetables.
- Roast for 1 hour and 20 minutes until chicken is cooked through. Let chicken rest for 20 minutes before slicing.
Chicken Ballotine (Stuffed Boneless Chicken) with Roasted Vegetables
- 1 whole chicken (approximately 1.5 kg), deboned
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 bunch spinach, washed
- 1 large red capsicum, sliced
- salt, black pepper and paprika powder
- 380 g chicken meat (from either chicken legs or breasts)
- 20 g shallot
- 10 g garlic
- 5 g salt
- 5 g sugar
- 40 g breadcrumbs
- 35 g egg
- ½ tsp dried mixed herbs
- black pepper
- Potatoes, carrots, other root vegetables, cut into chunks
- salt, black pepper and oil