- In a pot of boiling water, parboil the crab for 2 minutes. Drain, rinse with cold water, and drain again. Pull off the top shell of the crab in one piece and reserve for garnish. Remove and discard the gills and spongy parts under the shell. Twist off the claws and legs; crack them with a cleaver or mallet. Cut the body into 4 pieces then set aside.
- Place a wok over high heat until hot. Add 2 tablespoons of cooking oil, swirling to coat the sides. Add the garlic, ginger, green onions, fresh green and red chilies and eggs; cook and stir for 1 minute.
- Add the crab pieces and chicken broth and stir-fry for another 10 minutes.
- Season with pepper and sugar, then add the soy sauce. Add the chili powder, tomato sauce, water and cilantro, then reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer, stirring once or twice, until the crab is 70% cooked which should take about 5 minutes.
- Add the pineapple and green onion to simmer until it starts to boil.
- To serve, lay the rice noodles on the serving plate, garnish with the reserved crab shell, red chilies and cilantro leaves. Pour the chili crab with sauce over and serve while hot.
- 1 whole crab, about 450g
- 3 tbsp cooking oil
- 2 tbsp garlic, minced
- 3 tbsp ginger, minced
- 2 green onions, cut into 5cm lengths
- 1 fresh green chili, deseeded and minced
- 1 fresh red chili, deseeded and minced
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 120ml chicken broth
- 1 tbsp pepper
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 4 tbsp tomato sauce
- 1 cup of water
- 1 cup sliced pineapple
- 50g green onion, sliced
- 2 fresh red bird’s eye chilies, deseeded and minced
- 250g rice noodles, cooked and drained
- ½ cup cilantro leaves