Recipe courtesy of Sarah Benjamin
- Preheat the oven to 180°C, and place 12 cupcake paper liners in a muffin tray.
- In a large heatproof mixing bowl, use a hand mixer to mix the flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking powder and salt together until well combined.
- In a separate mixing bowl, add the egg, sour cream, oil and vanilla extract and stir with a spatula until smooth.
- Combine wet ingredients into the dry ingredients bowl and pour in the boiling water. Mix carefully until smooth.
- Spoon the chocolate batter into the prepared cups, filling up two thirds of the cup.
- Bake the cupcakes in the preheated oven for 15-19 minutes.
- Cool the cupcakes in the tray for 10 minutes, then transfer to a rack until completely cooled.
- To make the frosting, beat the butter with a hand mixer until fluffy and creamy.
- First sieve in the icing sugar to the mixing bowl, then sieve in cocoa powder. Add a pinch of salt and continue to mix.
- Once well combined, scrape down the sides of the bowl, then pour in the medlted chocolate, followed by vanilla extract and cream. Continue to beat on a high speed until the frosting is super light and fluffy. Transfer frosting into a piping bag.
- Also transfer the hazelnut chocolate into a separate piping bag.
- Using a cupcake corer or a small knife, carefully cut out some of the center of each cupcake. Fill the hole with chocolate hazelnut, then top with a generous amount of chocolate frosting.
- 200g Castor Sugar
- 105g Plain Flour
- 30g Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 1 ½tsp Baking Powder
- ½ tsp Salt
- 1 Large Egg
- 120ml Sour Cream
- 60ml Vegetable Oil
- 2tsp Vanilla Extract
- 120ml Boiling Water
- 340g Unsalted Butter, softened at room temperature
- 690g Icing Sugar, sifted
- 50g Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 1tsp Vanilla Extract
- 4 tbs Double Cream
- 225g Dark Chocolate, melted and cooled
- A pinch of Salt
- ½ cup Chocolate Hazelnut Spread