- 2 limes, juice and zest
- 5 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons non-alcoholic Mirin
- Japanese chili powder
- 3 tablespoons finely grated daikon radish
- 100 grams plain flour
- 50 grams corn flour
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 250 millilitres cold soda water
- 2 cans corn kernels, rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- To make the sauce, combine the lime zest, lime juice, soy sauce, rice vinegar, Mirin, Japanese chili powder and grated daikon in a small bowl. Stir and set aside.
- Preheat some oil in a pot (it should reach about 170°C – 180°C)
- Toss the corn kernels in a mixing bowl with 2 tablespoons plain flour and a pinch of salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together plain flour, corn flour, egg and soda water. Be sure not to overbeat the batter – a few lumps are okay.
- Pour as much batter as needed to just cover the corn kernels.
- Spoon small dollops of corn batter into the hot oil and fry in batches at 30 seconds per batch.
- Remove from oil and drain on plate lined with kitchen paper. Serve with dipping sauce.