- In a wok, heat oil for deep-frying to medium-high. Deep-fry rice vermicelli in small batches, flip noodles over when they puff, no more than 10 seconds per batch. As it is thin, it will fry quickly so ensure that the oil is not too hot. Remove from heat and place on paper towels to drain. Place the rice vermicelli in a large bowl and set aside.
- To make the sauce, combine all sauce ingredients in a small saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and cook until sauce thickens, which should take about 10-15 minutes.
- Finely chop the shallots and garlic in a food processor. Remove and set aside. Cut the chicken into thin slices then set aside.
- Place a pan over high heat until hot. Add 1 tablespoon of cooking oil, swirling the pan to coat sides. Add the chopped shallots and garlic and stir-fry until fragrant. Add the sliced chicken and stir-fry for 2 minutes; then add shrimp and cook for another 30 seconds. Add the thin slices of bean curd; stir-fry for 1 minute.
- Toss the sauce on top of the rice vermicelli and then add the stir-fried chicken and shrimp mixture. Serve with bean sprouts on the side.
- Cooking oil for deep-frying
- 100g rice vermicelli
- 1 small shallot
- 1 clove large garlic
- 90g boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 90g raw shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 1 tbsp cooking oil
- 30g pressed bean curd, sliced thinly
- 120g packed brown sugar
- 2 tbsp tamarind concentrate
- 4 tbsp lime juice
- 6 kaffir lime leaves, sliced thinly
- 2 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 2 tbsp soya sauce
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 2 cups fresh bean sprouts