- Using a fork, pierce some holes through the tough skin of the pumpkin squash close to the top stem. Cook the pumpkin squash, top stem side down, in the microwave for 10 minutes (if using Panasonic microwave oven, select ‘steam’ function). Let it stand until cool enough to handle. Carefully cut the top off the squash; reserve the top as a lid. Discard the seeds. Place the pumpkin squash back in the microwave again, right side up, and cook for 5 more minutes on ‘high’ (1000W).
- In a large pot, put in 2 teaspoons of oil, put the lemongrass, kaffir lime leaves and red chili in and stir. Add the chicken, shrimp, carrot, bamboo shoots, straw mushrooms, baby corn and green peas, ginger and chicken broth and bring to a boil over high heat.
- To flavor, add the sugar, green onion and fish sauce; continue to simmer for 10 minutes.
- Then, stir in coconut milk. Once all are combined, ladle the hot mixture into the squash. Cover with the reserved lid and cook in the microwave on high until squash is tender, about 10 minutes.
- To serve, scoop some of the flesh from the squash into 4 individual serving bowls. Ladle soup over the squash. Garnish with the green onion.
- 1 whole pumpkin squash, about 1kg
- 2 tsp cooking oil
- 2 stalks lemongrass, bottom 15cm only, lightly crushed
- 4 kaffir lime leaves, lightly crushed with the back of a knife
- 1 red chili
- 100g boneless and skinless chicken, diced
- 100g medium raw shrimp, shelled, deveined and butterflied
- 1 small carrot, diced
- ¼ cup bamboo shoots, diced
- ½ cup straw mushrooms, halved
- 5 spears baby corn, cut into 1cm pieces
- ¼ cup frozen green peas, thawed
- 1 cup ginger, diced
- 480ml chicken broth
- 2 tsp sugar
- 30g green onion
- 2 tsp fish sauce
- 240ml coconut milk
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced