- To prepare the fritter batter, combine the all-purpose and cake flours, baking powder, turmeric and five spice powder in a bowl. Using a hand mixer, add the egg, salt and enough water to form a thick batter then set aside.
- Fold the minced shrimp, garlic chives and green onions into the batter.
- In a wok, heat oil for deep-frying to 180°C. Dip a metal ladle into the oil for about 20 seconds to coat it. Drain any oil from the ladle, then pour ¼ cup batter into the hot ladle; top with a whole shrimp. Gently lower the ladle into the hot oil and deep-fry until golden. This will take approximately 4 to 5 minutes.
- Using a fork, push the partially cooked fritter out of the ladle; fry for 2 to 3 minutes longer. Remove the fritter and drain on paper towels. Repeat with the remaining batter and whole shrimp.
- Serve with sweet chili sauce on the side.
- 240g all-purpose flour
- 120g cake flour (low-gluten)
- ¾ tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- ¼ tsp five-spice powder
- 1 egg
- ½ tsp salt
- 180ml water
- 350g medium-sized shrimp, shelled, deveined
- ½ cup garlic chives, finely chopped
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- Cooking oil for deep-frying
- 8 medium-sized shrimp, shelled and deveined
- Sweet chili sauce