- Preheat the oven at 200°C for 20 minutes.
- Using the wet/dry mill attachment, finely blend the garlic, shallots and lemongrass. Toss it into a bowl along with the palm sugar, fish sauce, honey, sesame oil, salt, white and black pepper. Mix all the ingredients well.
- Add in the chicken and toss to coat, then leave it marinating in the fridge for a minimum of 4 hours or even overnight.
- To make the skewers, thread one piece of pandan leaf followed by a piece of chicken. Repeat until you have 3 chicken pieces and 3 pandan leaves per skewer.
- Place the skewers on a baking tray and grill it in the oven on double grill with fan setting for 8 minutes at 210°C.
- When done, broil it for another 3 minutes.
- To prepare the pickled vegetables, toss together daikon, carrots and salt in a non-reactive bowl. Stir continuously for a few minutes, then discard of the accumulated water in the bowl. If the vegetables are too salty, give it a quick rinse under running water, but not to completely wash off the salt.
- To the bowl, add sugar and vinegar. Stir to dissolve, then set aside to pickle in the fridge.
- Then, make the sauce. Dissolve the sugar in hot water. Then combine add in the lime juice, fish sauce, palm sugar, garlic, red chilies and chopped peanuts. Set it aside after stirring it well.
- To serve, assemble lettuce leaves, cilantro, Thai basil and Thai coriander leaves on one side of a large platter, drain the pickles and place beside the salad. Pour the Nuoc Cham in a small bowl in the centre, top with peanuts. And place the grilled chicken skewers on the bottom half of the platter.
- To eat, wrap the chicken in lettuce leaves, add herbs, pickles and sauce.
CHICKEN SKEWER INGREDIENTS:
- 800g boneless Chicken thigh, cut into 2 x 1 inch strips
- 6 Pandan leaves, cut into long strips, 4 x 0.5 inch
- 14-16 Bamboo skewers, pre-soaked in water
- 4 cloves of Garlic
- 3 Shallots
- 6 Lemongrass, root removed
- 3 tbs Palm sugar
- 2 tbs Fish sauce
- 2 tbs Honey
- 1 tbs Sesame oil
- ½ tbs Vegetable oil
- ½ tsp Salt
- ½ tbs Black pepper
- 3 tbs White sesame seeds
NUOC CHAM SAUCE INGREDIENTS:
- 3 tbs Fish sauce
- 3 tbs Palm sugar
- 5 tbs Hot water
- 3 tbs fresh Lime juice
- 1 Garlic clove, minced
- 2 Red bird’s eye chilies, sliced
- 2 tbs Roasted peanuts, chopped (save 1 tsp for garnish)
PICKLED VEGETABLES INGREDIENTS:
- 200g white daikon, cut into thin matchstick strips
- 200g carrots, cut into thin matchstick strips
- 4 tbs sugar
- 2 tbs salt
- 5 cups white vinegar
- 12 small Romaine lettuce leaves
- 1 stalk Cilantro
- 1 stalk Thai basil
- 1 stalk Thai Coriander Leaves