- Place the fish on a microwave-safe pan and steam in microwave oven. Press STEAM & MICRO POWER and turn the dial to set cooking time to approximately 7 minutes (cooking time depends on the size of the fish). Press START/SET to cook. Once done, allow to cool. Flake fish and set aside.
- Place the spice blend ingredients in the mixer grinder and pulse to a coarse mixture.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil and add all the ingredients except the mackerel, rice noodles and garnish. Cook for 30 minutes, season with salt and sugar to taste, then strain soup.
- Add noodles and flaked mackerel to individual serving bowls, then add red chillies and top off with soup. Add garnish as desired and serve.
Tips: For an authentic Penang laksa you want a tangy, sour soup – not a sweet one. You can also substitute mackerel with fresh tuna.
- 600g Mackerel, steamed and flaked
- 2L Water
Spice Blend Ingredients
- 100g Shallots
- 30g Turmeric, fresh
- 75g Galangal
- 2 Lemongrass
- 1 Ginger Torch Flower
- 80g Chili Paste
- 50g Fermented Dried Shrimp Paste (Belacan)
- 5 sprig Laksa Leaves
- To taste Tamarind Paste, 60g mixed with 100ml water and strained
- To taste Salt & Sugar
- 1kg Rice Noodles, blanched
- As desired Red Chilli, finely sliced
- As desired Pineapple, cut into chunks
- As desired Onions, finely sliced
- As desired Mint Leaves
- As desired Ginger Torch Flower, finely sliced