Prawn Fritters And Sauce (Cucur Udang)
Recipe courtesy of Nik Michael Imran
- Sift flour into a mixing bowl. Add pounded ingredients, red chili, Kuchai leaves and spring onions. Combine well with a whisk.
- Toss in the prawns and coat evenly.
- Use a hand mixer to incorporate all the ingredients together. Then gradually add water to the mixing bowl while still whisking, until viscous but still fairly stiff.
- Add egg, mix to combine and then season with salt, white pepper, onion and garlic powder.
- Fill a pot with oil about 4 inches deep & place on medium high heat or until it reaches 180°C. Neither too high that it burns the cucur nor too low that it turns soggy. We are going for crispy cucur.
- Once oil is hot, roughly shape batter into small balls using 2 table spoons and carefully lower into oil. Keep going until batter is finished. Do not overcrowd the pot.
- Place fried fritters on a plate lined with paper towel.
- Blend red chillies with vinegar, lime juice & sugar.
- Simmer on medium fire for 10-15 minutes just to cook through chillies.
- Leave to cool (even better in the fridge) and serve on the side of cucur.
Prawn Fritter Ingredients:
- 2 cups self-rising flour
- 1 cup Water
- 1tbs Dried Shrimp, soaked then pounded
- 1tbs Dried Anchovies, soaked then pounded
- 20 Prawns, deshelled & deveined then cut into cubes
- 1 Asian Chives (Kuchai Leaves), sliced finely
- 1 Spring Onion, sliced finely
- 1 Red Chili, finely diced
- 1 Egg, beaten
- 1 bottle Cooking Oil
- White Pepper, to taste
- Onion Powder, to taste
- Garlic Powder, to taste
- 4 large Red Chilies
- 4tbp Sugar
- Juice of 3 Limes
- ½ Cup White Vinegar