Oven-roasted chicken with honey glaze, thyme and festive vegetables
1) Place the butter in a bowl. Grate the zest of 1 lemon and add to the butter, then add the juice from the lemon, salt and pepper, garlic, a drizzle of olive oil, fresh chopped thyme and Italian parsley. Mix well.
2) Prepare the chicken. Season the cavity with salt and pepper, then stuff with 1/2 apple cut in half, 1/2 onion cut in half, 1/2 lemon cut in half and 2 bay leaves. Lift up the skin from the chicken breast and stuff the seasoned butter between the skin and the meat. Drizzle the chicken with olive oil.
3) To roast the chicken in the microwave oven, press COMBINATION setting 3 times. Turn the dial and set the cooking time to 75 minutes. Press START/SET to begin cooking. Baste the chicken with its own juice every 15 minutes. At 45 minutes into the cooking time, add the vegetables.
4) After adding the vegetables, brush the honey glaze onto the chicken and continue glazing every 5 minutes until the chicken is fully cooked. Arrange the roasted chicken and festive baby vegetables on a serving platter.
- 100g Butter, room temperature
- 1 Lemon, juice and zest
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- 3 cloves Garlic, chopped
- Olive Oil, as desired
- 1 tbsp Thyme
- 1 tbsp Italian Parsley
- 1 Chicken (whole, approximately 1.5kg)
- 1/2 Red Apple
- 1/2 White Onion
- 1/2 Lemon
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 1kg Festive Baby Vegetables (Carrots, Turnips, Potatoes, Brussel Sprouts)
- 100g Honey Glaze