Recipe courtesy of Sarah Benjamin
- 50ml Lime Juice
- ½ tsp Rice Vinegar
- 50g Caster Sugar
- 1 Garlic clove, finely chopped
- 2 tbs Fish Sauce
- ½ small Cucumber, peeled, deseeded and diced
- 1-6 Birds Eye Chilli, sliced (or 1 large chilli for a less spicy version)
ROTI JALA METHOD:
- Make the wrapper batter by whisking the turmeric, rice flour and tapioca flour together in a large bowl, until evenly combined. Make a well in the center and add the egg yolk and water, and whisk until smooth. Reserve 1 tablespoon of batter to be the “glue” that holds the spring rolls together.
- To make the sauce, stir all the ingredients together until the sugar has completely dissolved. Taste and adjust the flavors to your liking.
- Set the batter aside while you make the filling. Using your hands, toss all the ingredients together until everything is well mixed. Set aside.
- Heat a flat frying pan up over a medium heat. Rub it lightly with oil.
- With the bowl of batter right next to the stove, dip the fingers of one of your hands into the mixture and quickly drizzle it into the hot pan. Move in a circular motion to create a lacy pancake about 10cm in diameter.
- Cook for 10 seconds, then remove to a plate. Rub the pan down with oil again, then repeat until you have used up the batter.
- In a wok, deep pan or pot, heat up enough oil to allow the spring rolls to float when cooked. The oil should be around 180°C.
- After washing your hands, place one lacy wrapper on a plate or chopping board, and scoop a tablespoon of the filling onto the part of the wrapper closer to you. Fold the side closest to you over the filling, then the left and right sides, and finally, roll it up until you’ve formed a nice little bundle. At the end of the wrapper, dab some of the reserved batter before completely rolling it closed.
- Put the completed spring roll seam side down on a plate, and repeat till you have finished your filling.
- Fry the spring rolls in batches for 2-3 minutes each, transferring to a plate lined with kitchen paper.
- Serve the cooked spring rolls with the dipping sauce.
- 130g Rice Flour
- 45g Tapioca Flour
- 45g Wheat Flour
- ¼ tsp Ground Turmeric
- 250ml Water
- Salt to taste
- 600g Prawn Meat, chopped
- 100g Enoki Mushrooms, trimmed and cut into 3cm lengths
- 200g Long Beans, trimmed and finely sliced
- 1 Egg, lightly beaten
- 120g Nam Prik Pao (Thai roasted chilli sauce)