- To make the pie crust, start by combining flour, sugar and salt in a food processor and pulse until ingredients are combined.
- Then cut butter into 1cm cubes and add to flour mixture, pulse until the mixture forms coarse bits. Add the egg in and pulse until it forms a dough. Using your hands, form the dough into 2 balls. Flatten each ball into a 12cm x 3cm thick disc. Wrap each disc individually in plastic wrap and refrigerate for a minimum of 2 hours.
- To prepare the filling, place a wide frying pan over high heat until hot. Add the oil, swirling to coat sides. Add the garlic and ground beef; cook for 1 minute. Add the onion and potato; cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 minutes. Add the oyster sauce, five-spice powder and black pepper. Cover and cook over medium heat until the potato is tender. Stir in the dates and let the mixture cool.
- Preheat the oven to 190°C.
- On a lightly floured board or a clean flat surface, roll out the pastry, half at a time, to a thickness of 3mm; cut into 13cm rounds. For each turnover, place ¼ cup of filling on half of a circle. Moisten the edges of dough with a small amount of water, then fold the other half over to enclose filling. Crimp the edges to seal. Continue to form the remaining turnovers.
- Place the turnovers, 2.5cm apart, on a lightly greased baking sheet. Brush the tops of the turnovers with cooking cream. Bake the turnovers in the preheated oven for 10 to 15 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm.
- 2 tbsp cooking cream
- 360g unbleached white flour
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 270g chilled unsalted butter
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp cooking oil
- 1 tsp garlic, minced
- 225g lean ground beef
- ½ cup onion, chopped
- 1 small potato, peeled and cut into small cubes, about 1cm
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce
- ½ tsp five-spice powder
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 1/3 cup dates, coarsely chopped