- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Grab a 20-21cm cake tin.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk the flour, sugar, spice mix, baking powder and salt until well incorporated.
- Make the topping by stirring together the chopped gula melaka and 50g softened butter until creamy and combined. Spread into the base of the cake tin.
- Add 60g unsalted butter to the dry ingredients and whisk using a hand mixer at low speed to mix, until it has the texture of damp sand.
- Next, prepare the cake batter. In a mixing bowl, whisk the egg yolks together with the milk, pineapple syrup and vanilla extract using setting 1.
- Pour in the wet to the flour mixture bowl gradually and whisk until smooth. Stop halfway to scrape down the bowl. Then continue to whisk.
- Lay the pineapple rings on top of the gula melaka butter in the cake tin. Pour the cake batter on top.
- Leave cake baking in the oven at 180°C for 40 minutes, until it’s golden brown on the outside and cooked all the way through.
- Leave to cool for 5-10 minutes, before flipping the cake out onto a serving plate.
- To prepare the coconut cream, use a hand mixer to whip the cream and coconut cream with the icing sugar until it holds its shape.
- 4 Egg yolks, room temperature
- 120ml fresh Milk
- 2 tsp Vanilla extract
- 200g Cake flour or Top flour
- 180g Caster sugar
- ½ tsp Salt
- 3 tsp Baking powder
- 2-4 tsp Spice Mix (recipe below)
- 120g + 50g unsalted Butter, room temperature
- 60g Gula Melaka (palm sugar), grated
- 7 canned Pineapple rings, drained, 2 tbs of syrup from the can reserved
SPICE MIX INGREDIENTS:
- 2 tsp ground Cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground Ginger
- 1 tsp ground Star anise
- ½ tsp ground Nutmeg
- ¾ tsp ground Cardamom
- ¼ tsp Cloves
COCONUT WHIPPED CREAM INGREDIENTS:
- 150ml Whipping cream
- 1 tsb Icing sugar, sifted
- 2 tbs Coconut cream