- 2 red chilies
- ½ tsp ground turmeric
- ½ tsp Belacan (shrimp paste)
- ½ cup garlic, chopped
- ½ cup shallots, chopped
- 2 tbsp cooking oil
- 3 candlenuts, coarsely chopped
- 1 tbsp cooking oil
- 4 bean curd sticks (about 60g), soaked in water to soften, cut into 5cm lengths
- 1 carrot, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 cups cauliflower florets
- 100g wood ear mushrooms, soaked in water to soften
- 1 cup cabbage, coarsely shredded
- 3 long beans, cut into 5 cm lengths
- 100g fresh shiitake mushrooms
- 240ml coconut milk
- 200g cellophane noodles, soaked in water to soften
- A pinch of salt
- To make the spice paste, place all the spice paste ingredients in a blender and puree until smooth then set aside.
- Coarsely chop up the candlenuts, mix it together with the blended spice paste.
- Place a pan over medium-high heat until hot. Add the oil, swirling to coat the sides. Add the spice paste and fry until fragrant, for about 5 minutes. Add the bean curd sticks, carrot, cauliflower, wood ear mushrooms, cabbage, long beans and shiitake mushrooms. Reduce heat to low; simmer, uncovered, until vegetables are cooked.
- Add the coconut milk; bring to a boil slowly for around 20 minutes. Lastly, add cellophane noodles and a pinch of salt to taste. Simmer for 2 minutes and serve.