Sweet And Sour Prawns with Caramelised Pineapple
Recipe courtesy of Sarah Benjamin
- Stir together tomato paste, ketchup, oyster sauce, plum sauce, vinegar, garlic, honey, ginger, white pepper, cornflour and water. Set aside.
- Make the caramelised pineapple by sprinkling brown sugar on both sides of the pineapple slices, then fry in a hot pan for 2 minutes on each side, until golden brown. Remove and set aside. In the same pan, simmer the sauce until slightly thickened. Set aside.
- Have the sauce simmering in a saucepan over low-medium heat.
- In a wok over high heat, pour in vegetable oil for frying the peeled prawns until they just turn red. Remove and set aside. Pour away all but two tablespoons of oil.
- Stir fry onion and red bell pepper until softened. Pour in the sauce and most of the pineapples, bring to a boil. Cook just until nice and thickened, for less than 1 minute, then toss the cooked prawns back in.
- Throw the spring onions, and immediately take it off the heat once it starts to wilt. Serve topped with the caramelised pineapple and fresh red chilli.
Sweet and sour sauce:
- 3 tbs Tomato Ketchup
- 1 tbs Tomato Paste
- 1 tbs Oyster Sauce
- 2 tbs Plum Sauce
- 2-3 tsp Brown Rice Vinegar
- 1 tbs Honey
- 1 ½ tsp Cornstarch
- 100ml Water
- ½ tsp ground White Pepper
- 1 tsp Ginger, grated
- 1 tsp Garlic, minced
- 800g Tiger Prawns, peeled
- ¼ Pineapple, cored and cut into large chunks
- 3 tbs Brown Sugar
- 1 Red Capsicum, cored and cut into large chunks
- ½ Large Onion, peeled and cut into chunks, layers separated
- 5 Spring Onions, cleaned and cut into 5cm lengths
- 4 tbs Cooking Oil