Recipe courtesy of Sherson Lian
- First, start by making the fish stock, to do this, boil the bones of the catfish with 1 liter of water. When it comes to a boil, blanch the shrimps in the water as well over medium heat.
- When the prawns are cooked, remove the prawns and put in iced water, then devein and deshell. Don’t throw away the heads of the prawns, put them back in the fish stock to reduce.
- Blend the pre-soaked dry chillies, shallots and shrimp paste until a smooth paste. Then add in the poached fish meat and blend again.
- In a stock pot, strain the fish stock and cook with the blended paste and watermelon rind.
- Bring to a boil and simmer, season with tamarind paste, fish sauce and brown sugar.
- Then add in the cooked prawns, turn off the heat and allow it to sit for 10 minutes.
- Garnish with herbs and serve!
- 1 catfish, filleted and poached
- 1-liter water
- 500 grams large shrimps or prawns
- 10 grams dried chili, soaked in hot water
- 50 grams shallots, sliced thinly
- 15 grams shrimp paste
- ½ watermelon rinds, trimmed
- 2 tablespoons tamarind paste
- Fish sauce, to season
- Soft brown sugar, to season
- Mint leaf, coriander, Thai basil to garnish