Party sized oven-baked sausage rolls – loaded with meaty flavour and protein.
Preparation & Cooking Time: 30 min
2 – 4 Servings
- 400g Sausages (any of your favourite)
- As desired Salt & Pepper
- 1 tbsp Fresh Sage and Rosemary, chopped
- 1 small Apple, diced
- 1 Lemon zest and juiced
- For dusting Plain Flour
- 500g Puff Pastry
- 1 Egg
- A dash Milk
- Preheat the microwave oven by pressing OVEN once, turn the dial to set the temperature to 220°C and press START/SET. Cut the sausages in half and remove the skin. Place the sausage filling into a bowl. Season with salt, pepper, sage, rosemary, diced apples, lemon zest and juice.
- Dust your table with plain flour. Use half of the puff pastry and roll into a thin (0.5cm) layer. Divide the sausage mixture in half and place it onto the puff pastry. Mix the egg with a dash of milk. Use a pastry brush to egg-wash the pastry on both sides of the sausage meat, and then fold it like a tortilla.
- Use the back of a fork to mark and seal the pastry all the way along the joint so it is tightly wrapped up. Egg-wash the top of the roll, then cut into 8 pieces so each cross section looks like a chicken drumstick. Do the same with the other half of the puff pastry.
- Place on a baking tray and bake in the preheated microwave oven for about 20 minutes, or until golden, crisp and puffed up.
Tips: For a lower fat version, use chicken breast instead of sausage, with a dash of cream to prevent it from drying out when cooking.