- Sift ground almond and icing sugar into a large bowl.
- Add 55 g of egg whites to the ground almond and icing sugar mixture. Stir into a thick paste.
- Put the other 55g of egg whites into a clean, grease-free bowl. Whisk the egg whites for a while and add in the 25g of sugar. Continue to whisk until egg white is foamy.
- Mix 125g of sugar and water together in a small saucepan. Bring the sugar syrup to a boil, then reduce heat to medium and continue cooking sugar syrup reaches 120°C.
- Remove sugar syrup from heat and while the mixer is running at the highest speed, slowly pour the syrup into the bowl and continue whisking. Add a drop of pink colouring and whisk well to combine.
- Fold the meringue into the almond mixture in 3 additions (stir gently at the last addition).
Continue folding until the mixture falls off the spatula like lava, forming a thick ribbon (try to be fast and efficient and don’t work the dough for too long).
- Fill the prepared piping bag fitted with the round plain tip with the macaron batter.
- Pipe the macarons batter onto the lined Cubie trays.
- Lightly tap the tray on the table to remove any large bubbles.
- Bake the macarons in preheated Panasonic Cubie oven on 135°C for 14 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely before removing macarons off the parchment paper. Sandwich with Lychee Buttercream.
- Attach a sakura flower on one side of each macaron with the faintest smearing of jam. Best chilled and served the next day.
To make Lychee Buttercream:
- Combine egg whites and sugar in a metal bowl and whisk them together. Place the bowl over a saucepan with an inch of water at the bottom of the saucepan, and bring the water to a simmer.
- Whisk frequently until the egg whites are hot to the touch. Transfer to a mixer.
- Whisk the whites on medium-high speed until they are stiff and are no longer warm to the touch. Reduce the speed to medium-low and add the softened but cool butter in small chunks, whisking in between each addition. Add the flavourings and salt.
- 150g ground almond
- 150g icing sugar
- 55g + 55g egg whites
- 25g + 125g sugar
- 38g water
- few drops pink food colouring
- pickled sakura flowers, soaked for 1 hour and dried with a kitchen towel
- 3 egg whites
- 130g castor sugar
- 150g unsalted butter, softened but still cool
- a few drops lychee flavour
- a few drops rose flavour (optional)
- a pinch of salt