- Soak red bean for 1 hour. Drain the red bean and place in a pot with water to cover. Bring to a boil, and simmer until the beans are soft, adding more boiling water when necessary.
- Strain the red bean, discarding the extra liquid. Mash the red bean, or process in a food processor to the desired texture.
- Return the red bean to the pot and add the sugar. Cook until a thick paste is formed. Set aside to cool. Divide into 15 pieces and shape into rounds.
- Combine glutinous rice flour, matcha powder, sugar and water in a heat-proof bowl.
- Cook on Healthy Steam at 120oC for 20 to 25 minutes, until translucent.
- Sprinkle potato starch onto worktop.
- Pour mochi dough onto the potato starch. Cover the dough with more potato starch and roll out thinly with a rolling pin.
- Cut into pieces large enough for wrapping the red bean balls. Wrap the mochi and pinch the edges to seal. Dust with more potato starch to prevent sticking, brushing off any excess. Repeat with the remaining ingredients.
Red Bean Paste
- 200g red bean
- 90g sugar
- 150g glutinous rice flour
- 1 -2 tsp matcha powder
- 50g sugar
- 220g cold water
- potato starch for dusting